Re: Sarge update

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 12:38:37PM +0000, Thomas Skybakmoen wrote:
>Hi a question from a "normal" debian user:
>
>As sarge is comming to a server near me..

>I wounder why certian packages are so old when some are bleading new.

>bind (9.2.3) wich in debian is: 8.4.4

    >bind9 | 1:9.2.3+9.2.4-rc5-1 |       testing

>dhcp (3.0.1)  wich in debian is: 2.0pl5

    >dhcp3 | 3.0+3.0.1rc14-1 |       testing

There are fairly good reasons for the package renaming in both these
cases.

iptables (1.2.11) 1.2.9
>modutils (2.4.27) 2.4.26  etc

File bugs if you want newer upstream versions. On the face of it, these
two don't seem to be major problems.

And alot of bugs from woody that are like 3 years old, when will they be
>closed, not talking about release critical packages, but stuff that are no >near bugs today... Will this be cleared out when sarge goes into rc1?

You'll have to talk to the maintainers of the packages you care about.
As a matter of general policy and for maintaining our sanity, the
release team really can't afford to care about all 25000-odd open bugs.
The release-critical distinction is essentially meant to be a means of
tracking the bugs we really need to care about.

A solution: set a date after installer is finished, have 30 days to upload
>every package that can be updated without bringing to many bugs into it( >unstable- gnome team did this, why can`t others) and then freeze Sarge, >then fix Debian installer to reflect the latest packages, wich are not that >many. Then one go into fix,test Sarge.

That's approximately what's happening ...

I know the 2 packages I mentioned over are there, but they don`t have that many bugs compared to the lower versions, I know I can install em as well after main install. Reason for these beeing "put out are?"

Thomas