Re: Sarge update

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 12:38:37PM +0000, Thomas Skybakmoen wrote:
> Hi a question from a "normal" debian user:
>
> As sarge is comming to a server near me..
>
> I wounder why certian packages are so old when some are bleading new.
>
> bind (9.2.3) wich in debian is: 8.4.4

     bind9 | 1:9.2.3+9.2.4-rc5-1 |       testing

> dhcp (3.0.1)  wich in debian is: 2.0pl5

     dhcp3 | 3.0+3.0.1rc14-1 |       testing

There are fairly good reasons for the package renaming in both these
cases.

> iptables (1.2.11) 1.2.9
> modutils (2.4.27) 2.4.26  etc

File bugs if you want newer upstream versions. On the face of it, these
two don't seem to be major problems.

> And alot of bugs from woody that are like 3 years old, when will they be
> closed, not talking about release critical packages, but stuff that are no
> near bugs today... Will this be cleared out when sarge goes into rc1?

You'll have to talk to the maintainers of the packages you care about.
As a matter of general policy and for maintaining our sanity, the
release team really can't afford to care about all 25000-odd open bugs.
The release-critical distinction is essentially meant to be a means of
tracking the bugs we really need to care about.

> A solution: set a date after installer is finished, have 30 days to upload
> every package that can be updated without bringing to many bugs into it(
> unstable- gnome team did this, why can`t others) and then freeze Sarge,
> then fix Debian installer to reflect the latest packages, wich are not that
> many. Then one go into fix,test Sarge.

That's approximately what's happening ...