Re: proposed resolution to release-critical libtiff3g bugs

Further clarification:

On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 12:48:35PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 11:53:02AM -0400, Jay Berkenbilt wrote:

> > >   On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 10:53:26AM -0400, Jay Berkenbilt wrote:
> > >   [...]
> > >   > The upstream libtiff maintainers are going to skip some soname
> > >   > versions when they do their next release.  This makes it possible for
> > >   > distributions to resolve this on their own by releasing 3.6.1 as
> > >   > libtiff.so.4.  FreeBSD apparently did this.  If we were going to
> > >   > revert the ABI change, I think the only sensible way to do it would be
> > >   > to revert libtiff3g back to 3.5.7 (with an epoch) and release libtiff4
> > >   > which would be 3.6.1.

> > >   Hello,
> > >   Yes, afaiui Steve suggested exactly this. (He just chose libtiff3.deb
> > >   instead of libtiff4.) And then we rebuild everything against libtiff4
> > >   and make sure these rebuilt packages also make it to sarge and replace
> > >   the broken packages there, which were built against libtiff3g with
> > >   3.6.1-ABI.
> > >		      cu andreas

> > Well, this would be the Right Thing to do, and it seems that there is
> > a good reason to do the Right Thing.

> > If we do this, forcing all these packages to recompile without any
> > changes would resolve the problem in sarge.  The package maintainers,
> > at their option, could replace their dependencies on libtiff3g to
> > libtiff4 instead, or they could wait if they don't care about the
> > changes.

Package maintainers do *not* have the option of not recompiling for
transitions like this.  You must remove libtiff3g altogether and force a
transition to libtiff4; and only after the transition is completed would
you re-introduce libtiff3g if you felt it was necessary.  If you give
maintainers the option, RC bugs will be missed until libtiff3g reverts
to the previous ABI, and by then it would be too late.

> > libtiff4 may include LZW support.  Based on discussions on
> > debian-legal, the libtiff mailing list, and other places, along with
> > the fact that ppmtogif is now in main, it seems that this would be
> > safe at this point.  This would provide added incentive for people to
> > rebuild with libtiff4.

Being allowed to release with sarge will provide incentive for people to
rebuild with libtiff4.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer