Re: proposed resolution to release-critical libtiff3g bugs

On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 10:53:26AM -0400, Jay Berkenbilt wrote:
[...]
> The upstream libtiff maintainers are going to skip some soname
> versions when they do their next release.  This makes it possible for
> distributions to resolve this on their own by releasing 3.6.1 as
> libtiff.so.4.  FreeBSD apparently did this.  If we were going to
> revert the ABI change, I think the only sensible way to do it would be
> to revert libtiff3g back to 3.5.7 (with an epoch) and release libtiff4
> which would be 3.6.1.

Hello,
Yes, afaiui Steve suggested exactly this. (He just chose libtiff3.deb
instead of libtiff4.) And then we rebuild everything against libtiff4
and make sure these rebuilt packages also make it to sarge and replace
the broken packages there, which were built against libtiff3g with
3.6.1-ABI.
                   cu andreas