Re: libdv (the chainsaw solution)

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 06:07:19PM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> Hello,
> I've watched libdv for some time as it is part of the whole gnome2.6
> mess (gst-plugins0.8 depends on it) but I think it just won't go in
> without force.

> I'd suggest something like this being introduced tomorrow, when
> kino is 10 day old:

> # the newer, libdv4-compatible motv in sid cannot propagate
> # because it depends on newer motif, which is out of date on s390 and
> # arm.
> remove motv/3.72

This one is on my list, when the time comes.

> # This one sucks. kinoplus only FTBFS on arm
> remove kinoplus/0.3.2-1

This one is unnecessary; kinoplus only depends on kino and libc6, it's
not blocking propagation of anything else AFAICT.

> # the newer gem in sid is quite broken, FTBFS on multiple archs.
> remove gem/0.87cvs20031031-3

I don't remember seeing this one in update_output either; what's the
dependency here that causes a problem?

> This (perhaps together with a hint) should/might get the new versions
> of kino, libdv, libquicktime and xawtv into sarge.

A hint is definitely required, and is waiting in the wings.

> I have tried, and am still trying to get new motif into sarge, but I
> am unable to build the missing archs currently. - There is no
> publically accessible arm machine (debussy is down for quite some
> time) and asking on debian-arm has not yielded any results. (I have
> hopes for s390, I am just waiting for the admins to install the necessary
> build-depends.)

Thanks for your efforts.

--
Steve Langasek