Re: gif-producing code and sarge?

On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 08:57:39PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> So, I would like to move these packages / programs into main (more
> specifically, ppmtogif from netpbm-nonfree into netpbm-free, and file
> wishlist requests on the appropriate dependend packages). However, as
> the last expiry falls into the deep freeze (at least I hope this ;),
> it might be useful to make the move earlier (now?). Well, this
> decision is of course yours, so please tell me if it's ok to upload
> packages that produce compressed gif into main earlier than 7th July.

Wasn't this covered a few weeks ago somewhere?  I certainly remember
pre-expiry timelining for the LZW patent, anyway.

The problem, as I recall was raised in previous discussions, is that even
after the patent expires, Unisys have some time to litigate pre-expiry
infringements.  If it goes into main prior to expiry in relevant
jurisdictions, even if Unisys doesn't notice it for a while, we (or our
users) could still be in for problems.

Considering that it doesn't look like the freeze is really going to take
place any time soon, I'd hold off until at least the US expiry of the patent
before uploading.  I doubt that there'll be any problems getting it in after
that.

- Matt