gif-producing code and sarge?

Hi,

as far as I understood, we probably need for the release of sarge at
least six more weeks, i.e. not before 4th July. Some packages are put
into non-free/contrib because they produce (direct or indirect)
gif-images, and there is a gif patent. According to
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html :
  The Unisys patent expired on 20 June 2003 in the USA, but it does not
  expire in most of Europe until 18 June 2004, in Japan until 20 June
  2004 and in Canada until 7 July 2004

So, I would like to move these packages / programs into main (more
specifically, ppmtogif from netpbm-nonfree into netpbm-free, and file
wishlist requests on the appropriate dependend packages). However, as
the last expiry falls into the deep freeze (at least I hope this ;),
it might be useful to make the move earlier (now?). Well, this
decision is of course yours, so please tell me if it's ok to upload
packages that produce compressed gif into main earlier than 7th July.

Cheers,
Andi
--
   http://home.arcor.de/andreas-barth/