Re: Update on "upload of GNOME 2.6 to unstable" status

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 12:47:33PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> That said, making sure everything in experimental is in sync for all
> arches uploaded there would make things easier.

Gah! A pox on all your foreign speaking houses!

You don't need to get everything in experimental in sync. Just make sure
you've got it built. You should be aiming for something like:

	gnome2.6 | 2.6-1     | experimental | alpha, arm
	gnome2.6 | 2.6-3     | experimental | m68k, mipsel
	gnome2.6 | 2.6-4     | experimental | ia64, hppa, s390, sparc
	gnome2.6 | 2.6-5     | experimental | mips
	gnome2.6 | 2.6-6     | experimental | i386, source
	gnome2.6 | 2.6-6.0.1 | experimental | powerpc

not necessarily

	gnome2.6 | 2.6-6     | experimental | alpha, arm, hppa, i386, ia64,
	                                      m68k, mips, mipsel, s390, sparc,
	                                      source
	gnome2.6 | 2.6-6.0.1 | experimental | powerpc

You're aiming to get something that can clearly be made to work easily,
not something that's already been made to work.

Sorry, I know this is complicated, and probably confusing enough in
English, let alone with a language barrier, but I do think this is
important enough to do right, and I'm hopeful that the Gnome 2.6 stuff
will provide some more examples so it's clearer in the future.

Hopefully the above is reasonably clear.

> But then, maybe the pool
> mechanism should not drop an older _all package if there is a package of
> some arch that depends on it, but sure this would need more than one
> version of the _all package in the archive.

Yes, this is on the TODO list. I think we even worked out how to do it
at one point. Don't expect it any sooner than experimental autobuilding
though. :(

Cheers,
aj

Don't assume I speak for anyone but myself. GPG signed mail preferred.