Re: why is hamlib-1.2.0 not in testing yet?

On Sat, Apr 17, 2004 at 17:24:40 +0200, Joop Stakenborg wrote:
> It says: "Updating hamlib makes 4 depending packages uninstallable on
> alpha: gpredict, grig, tlf, xlog"

AFAIK you can read that as "Updating just hamlib makes 4 depending packages
uninstallable on alpha: gpredict, grig, tlf, xlog".

Apparently the dependency relationships among these packages are such that
they need to go into testing together as a group.

> I don't understand what is going on here.

In cases where a group of packages (from different source packages) need to
enter testing together, a "hint" to that effect is needed to the software
that considers packages for going into testing.

> All of these packages seem to have been build on all architectures,
> including alpha.

Good.

> So what is holding back hamlib from going into testing

Apparently they haven't been hinted yet.

> and why is this only a problem on alpha?

That's explained in the page: "Platforms are tested in alphabetical order,
but only the first that breaks is displayed. That's why many packages are
reported as uninstallable on alpha. Actually they are most likely
uninstallable on many other platforms too, but only the result for alpha is
displayed."

> What do I have to do to get hamlib into testing?

Inform the debian-release list, which you've just done, and wait for the
release manager or one of his assistents to add the hint, which usually
doesn't take very long.

HTH,
Ray
--
These days we're all supposed to believe that everyone's opinion is equally
valid, but sometimes you just have to stand up and say "Your opinion is