Re: Strongly advise preventing new hotplug from getting into 'sarge' yet

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 03:12:58PM -0500, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> New hotplug currently breaks alsa for basically everyone using
> kernel 2.6.  This is a nasty regression, regardless of whose "fault" it is,
> and it seems extremely inappropriate to allow this regression to propagate
> into sarge.

I guess I'm not "basicly everyone" then. On the other hand, alsa-lib
0.9.8 -> 1.0.1 did brake so that I had to recompile a newer 2.6.* kernel
to get any sound out of the system. Countless other kernel/alsa
upgrades have forced me to reconfigure something to get sound or
mixer settings back.

The _only_ case I've heard new hotplug brakes alsa if

1) you have more than one soundcard
and
2) you wanted to have the non-first in PCI bus soundcard as "default"
and
3) you are not using a desktop env sound system like esound or arts to
   select the default sound card and instead rely on /dev/ symlinks

Is that really basicly everyone or a loud group of powerusers?
_
--
Riku Voipio  	       |    riku.voipio@iki.fi         |
kirkkonummentie 33     |    +358 40 8476974          --+--