Upgrade only supported from most recent point release

Adrian Bunk wrote:

<snip>
> This will ensure _nothing_.
>
> It's supported that users upgrade from Debian 3.0r0 to 3.1.

Unfortunately, I think that already isn't supported.  If I'm not very much
mistaken, there are several things which simply will not work without an
intermediate upgrade to 3.0r2 -- or, indeed, in some cases, the
not-yet-released 3.0r3.  Most notably, support for real i386 machines.  I
believe support for MIPS has a similar problem.  (These are due to
interactions between the kernel and libc, such that a newer kernel than is
present in 3.0r0 is required in order to upgrade libc successfully.  I
believe that in the case of i386, the newer kernels are not yet present in
woody, only in woody-proposed-updates.)

So I think it's sufficient to document all cases where this is required in
the release notes for 3.1.  Disgusting though it is.

> I don't know much about the PostgreSQL packaging, but a working upgrade
> from Debian 3.0r0 to Debian 3.1 is definitely a must,
Too late.  :-(

--
Make sure your vote will count.
http://www.verifiedvoting.org/