Re: [i386] [20041013] [netinst] Error installing libreadline4

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 03:32:15PM -0300, Andre Luis Lopes wrote:
> Sorry, I didn't finished the installation so I'm just sending this
> message instead of a complete installation report. My testes were done
> with a netinst image downloaded from
> http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/sid_d-i/i386/20041013/sarge-i386-netinst.iso
> (md5sum is fefa815e75dbc6d5fd1a2702703d2a8d).

> Tried the installation using the standard kernel (i.e. no linux26).
> Fisrt stage worked fine. After rebooting I experienced problems while
> base-config tried to install some packages. The error I got is :

> E: Unable to resolve some dependencies!
> Some packages had unmet dependencies.  This may mean that you have
>  requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
>  distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
>  or been moved out of Incoming.
> The following packages had unmet dependencies:
>  libreadline-common: Conflicts: libreadline4 (< 4.3-13) but 4.3-11 is
>  to be installed.
> tasksel: aptitude failed.

> I selected the "Desktop Environment" task using tasksel and tried using
> various different mirrors : ftp.us.debian.org, http.us.debian.org,
> ftp.debian.org, http.debian.org and ftp.br.debian.org. The same error
> happens with all of them.

> The installation stops and I'm taken back to the base-config menu.

The problem is that libreadline5 is priority: standard, but should not
really be targetted for sarge as nothing uses it (except for rlfe), and
should definitely not have been allowed into sarge at priority: standard
after the base freeze was in effect.

Fixing this conflict between standard packages requires either fixing
the priority of libreadline5 in the archive, or allowing an updated
version of libreadline4 into testing; since libreadline5 should not be
joining the default system at this late stage, I'm not inclined to agree
with the latter.

To fix sarge until an appropriate priority override can be made by an
ftpmaster, I've hinted libreadline5 (and rlfe) for removal from sarge.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer