Re: Include kernel with i486 emulation in 3.0r3

On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 04:29:56PM +0100, Rob Bradford wrote:
> I think we should push this matter through with an updated kernel in a 3.0r3
> update before the release of sarge. People could then upgrade to that before
> upgrading to sarge. And in my opinion would make the upgrade process much
> simpler and more straightforward. And as respect to security updates, this will
> need to be maintained as long as woody support is maintained.

Aside from the fact that the necessary emulation patch isn't ready, this
would mean backporting the patch to a 2.4.18 kernel (since we can't
break the kernel ABI in 3.0), which would probably be more trouble than
it's worth.

Additionally, an upgrade-i386 directory would provide a usable upgrade
path for the length of sarge's lifetime, but an update to 3.0r3 would
only be usable until oldstable was kicked from the archive.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer