Re: No libtiff transition for sarge

Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo <jsogo@debian.org> writes:

> On Sun, Aug 08, 2004 at 06:46:09PM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> > [1] OK, you could upload half of GNOME recompiled against an older
>> >     libgpg-error0
>>
>> Nicely spotted. Seems like libgpg-error0 somehow missed radar, another
>> case for tpu, imho.
>
>  Woops! That's was really my fault. I check that there were no internal
>  need to upgrade shlibs, but I forgot to change shlibs creation.
>  Anyway, such change should be made, as new interfaces have been added
>  from 0.7 to 1.0. A package using that should be able to say that he
>  needs the new version.

If you have new features shlibs needs to be bumped. To fix this in sid
it looks like you have to upload the old 0.7 version with an epoch or
as 1.0-realy-0.7 and recompile everything against it (assuming nothing
uses the new features yet).

Both is rather ugly.

Uploading t-p-u versions looks cleaner.

(but do what RM says)

>  Other reason is that libgpg-error was priority optional till this last
>  upload, when I realised that libgnutls/libcrypt depend on it. Even,
>  though I have changed it in my sources, bug filled in ftp.d.o is not
>  yet closed. (see #262938)
>
>  And basically, all those GNOME packages depending directly on
>  libgpg-error0 need to be relibtoolized and reuploaded, with new libtool
>  >= 1.5.6, and those dependencies will disappear. If someone can
>  provide me a list, I can see what can be done in this field from GNOME
>  Team part.

apt-cache rdepends libgpg-error0

>  Anyway, I'd like to hear release people about this issue. If a fixed
>  package must be drop to t-p-u I'll prepare it ASAP. (CC set on
>  d-release for that)
>
>   Cheers,

MfG
        Goswin