this bug is RC

severity 251861 grave
thanks

This bug is release crticial: it makes it impossible to install debian
with the 2.6 kernel.

We have a patch for the bug, but I don't know if Herbert will be
avilable to release it. Didn't he quit? So can someone step up and get a
fixed package into the archive?

An alternative fix would be to remove kernel-image-2.6.6-1-386 (et al)
from testing. The 2.6.5 version is still available in testing, and
works. Since this bug *is* RC, that would be an appropriate response,
IMHO.

(I see a slightly different bug with this kernel and my test laptop.
When the frame buffer is turned on just before base-config starts, the
laptop simply turns off. I suspect it's the same bug, different failure
mode.)

--
see shy jo