Re: telnet, ftp, and ssl

On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 06:29:07PM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
> I'm the maintainer of the netkit-{telnet,ftp} and linux-ftpd packages.
>
> Christoph Martin asked me to merge the SSL patches, that he maintains as
> separate packages (netkit-{telnet,ftp}-ssl and linux-ftpd-ssl), into the
> non-ssl source packages. After this change, telnet{,d}-ssl and ftp{,d}-ssl
> would be provided by the non-ssl packages (via multi-build and conditional
> patch applying).
>
> However, I heard that package relationships in base are frozen. The packages
> in question are at most priority "standard" (not "required"). Does the
> freeze affect them too? In any case, do you approve doing this change now or
> should it be put on hold untill Sarge is released.

ftp is not affected by the base dependency freeze, but telnet is
installed by debootstrap on all architectures, and telnetd is installed
by debootstrap on s390, so telnet and telnetd may not change their
package relationships. What this means is that you can't require
debootstrap to install any additional dependencies in order to
successfully install telnet or telnetd.

If it's just an additional Provides:, then that should be fine, but if,
say, telnet wants to depend on telnet-ssl then that isn't allowed.