Re: Update on "upload of GNOME 2.6 to unstable" status

On Sun, May 16, 2004 at 06:35:40PM +0200, Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt wrote:
> Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> writes:
> > On Sat, May 15, 2004 at 06:31:25PM +0200, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> >> * Architectures:
> >> A full Gnome2.6 is built and available in experimental for these archs:
> >> - i386
> >> - ppc
> >> - mips
> >> - arm
> >> - ia64
> > You're still missing alpha, hppa, sparc, mipsel, s390 and m68k...
>
> You know that this is nearly impossible.

Oh?

> To build the complete GNOME 2.6.{0,1}, you need root access to a
> chroot,

What you don't ask, you don't get.

> as you have to install most packages after you've built them 'cause
> they're in the build-deps of other packages.

Other possibility is to just ask porters to build and upload packages.
It's not because there's no buildd for experimental that we don't want
to help...

(I *might* build GNOME 2.6 sometime soon for m68k, but it will depend on
the possibilities of the donated VME boards that I'm going to get
tomorrow...)

> BTW: Packages for SPARC are available at http://people.debian.org/~phython/.
>
> >> So what the release team thinks about this ? If you are fine with that
> >> we can start the migration today.
> > You don't have a majority of architectures build in experimental yet,
> > let alone all of them, or even almost all of them. You still need to
> > work on that.
> >
> > You should be aiming to get everything uploaded to experimental ready to
> > reupload to unstable with no code changes (ie, just bump the version in
> > the changelog, change experimental to unstable, build and upload). If
> > you've got apps that need to transition at the same time -- Gnome apps
> > using DEPRECATED features, or KDE libs or whatever -- get those uploaded
> > into experimental too.
>
> I'd like to hear some more reasons for this sort of roadmap. ATM, we
> can't release sarge anyway (as you've announced yourself). GNOME 2.4 is
> stable and isn't developed upstream anymore, so we even don't need to
> update the packages in testing.

I don't buy that, there's always the possibility for something to need
an update. How certain are you that there will not be any new RC bugs
for the GNOME currently in testing? If you upload GNOME 2.6, you throw
away any possibility you otherwise could have had to easily update it
(that is, without annoying quite some people and without having a hell
of a time getting your updated GNOME packages built).

--
         EARTH
     smog  |   bricks