Excess copies of libdb

Steve Langasek wrote:

>> db3
>> #223142, #234507
>> db4.0
>> #223140
>> I know we can't remove them. One of the base problems
>
> It would be nice to see fewer copies of libdb in sarge, in all honesty.
> Christian Perrier reported on debian-boot that there are no less than
> six versions currently pulled in by packages at priority: standard and
> above, which is rather absurd, particularly when two of them have
> longstanding RC bugs.

OK, just as a data point, here are the things on my system built against
various versions of libdb other than libdb4.2.
--> libdb1-compat
libc6

Is there ever going to be any way to get rid of this waste of space?
:-(  Perhaps it might be possible to demote the "Depends" to a "Recommends"
eventually?

--> libdb2:
apt-utils (recommended by debconf)

Hopefully this should be easy to switch to either libdb3 or libdb4.2. The
libdb use doesn't seem to be very critical to the package. It's only used
by apt-ftparchive, and then only with a specific command-line option, and
only for caching, and the db isn't exposed to the outside.

The source package here is 'apt'.

--> libdb3:
rpm (and librpm4)
libsasl2
dhelp
libpam-modules
openoffice.org-bin
(libnss-db and exim also depend on this)

OK, so there's a fair number of packages here, including some really deeply
embedded packages; I wouldn't count on upgrading them all very quickly.

--> libdb4.0
perl

Surely this can be upgraded to use libdb4.2 ?!?

--> libdb4.1
postfix
(vacation also depends on this, but I don't have it installed)
Again, surely these can be switched to libdb4.2 ?!?

Conclusion: We should be able to eliminate dependencies on everything but
libdb1-compat, libdb3, and libdb4.2 without too much work.

--
Make sure your vote will count.
http://www.verifiedvoting.org/