Re: Why is package X not in testing yet?

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 10:41:31AM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 11:14:35PM +0100, Richard B. Kreckel wrote:
> > On Tue, 16 Mar 2004, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > > FYI, qalculate-gtk is now built on all platforms, but is waiting on
> > > libxml2 to precede it into testing.  Once this happens, cln, ginac, and
> > > qalculate-gtk will be hinted in.

> > Great.  Let's hope you're right.

> > Which leaves me wondering: how does one obtain such wisdom?  I mean,
> > yesterday there was no hint to libxml2 being a blocker to qalculate-gtk on
> > <http://bjorn.haxx.se/debian/testing.pl?package=qalculate-gtk>.  There was
> > only mention of it not having built on m68k.

> Really? There is today ...

>   * qalculate-gtk is waiting for cln, libxml2
>       + libxml2 is only 7 days old. It must be 10 days to go in.

> It's also possible Steve was just looking ahead to stuff that had just
> been uploaded into the archive, which can be up to a day in front of
> what the testing scripts say (since they only run daily).

The m68k qalculate-gtk package was already in the archive at the time I
wrote the above.  Unfortunately, the bjorn.haxx.se scripts do seem to
lag behind update_output/update_excuses somewhat, which themselves can
lag up to 24 hours behind reality where the counting of RC bugs is
concerned.  I usually find Bjorn's scripts helpful for getting an
overview of blockages, but drilling down with grep-excuses (for
starters) is a must for confirming what areas need more work.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer