Re: DEMOCRATICAL election of Codenames of Debian [Before "Re: And next name after Sarge? or PROPOSAL for Codenames' election"]

Xan, 2004-01-12 22:50:13 +0100 :

>> On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 07:31:02PM +0100, Xan wrote:
>> > In 07 Jan 2004 17:09, I wrote the following in Usenet, and it seems that
>> > anyone answered essentially that
>> > 1) I have to send this to "aj", the release manager, and that
>> > 2) it is a example of overengineered suggestion.
>> >
>> > Well, I have to say that it was a solution (perhaps overengineered) to
>> > achieve that the election of codenames of Debian were more
>> > democratically than now.  I'm sad (and worry) that to no body likes
>> > this suggestion and overall the possibility that the choose of
>> > codenames were democratical.
>>
>> Why's that necessary?
>
> Why not?

Uh.  So we should do things just because we can't find arguments
proving that they are not necessary?

> 1) It's a election of a non-technical part of Debian and I think
> that it's have to be made democratically. As if a group of persons
> have to make a decission, they vote the alternatives, it's natural
> to make the same in this case.

  Okay.  If things ever happen your way, I hereby delegate my vote to
the current release manager, and I encourage other Debian developers
to do so and spend their valuable time fixing bugs instead of voting
and arguing on something that insignificant.

> 2) With democratic election, aj will have less work.

  aj, be honest: how much time have you spent choosing release
codenames, total, ever since you've become the release manager (which
is longer than I can remember)?  I suspect something along the lines
of a couple of minutes.  Oh, and Manoj (as project secretary) will
have *much* more work.  Setting up, conducting, and controlling a vote
is not trivial.  And you have to add it to the web pages.  And
translate these pages.

> 3) It suggests interest by all the debian newbees:
> 		1) It were fun by them

  Can't understand that sentence.

> 		2) It were clear that Debian is a distro made by and
> for the people.

  Debien is made by Debian developers for the people.  People
interested in helping are welcome to become Debian developers.  I
believe the common opinion among current Debian developers is that a
release codename is insignificant, and the release manager is entitled
to decide over it.

> I don't say the contrary. I only said that we could elect the
> codenames democratically.

  Again: what would we gain?

> Well, with this encourage and entusiasm, I will be charmed (?) to
> shout out!.  You motivate that the newbee users (as me) only want be
> newbees, because always that they want to apport any idea, you
> critize (destructively) their ideas.

  I can't see how we destruct your idea.  You still haven't brought a
single valid argument for why we should be democratical over that
point.

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

S'agirait pas d'atteindre la sublime transcendance du supramental sans
se bouger le fion un minimum... -- in Sri Raoul le petit yogi (Gaudelette)