Re: DEMOCRATICAL election of Codenames of Debian [Before "Re: And next name after Sarge? or PROPOSAL for Codenames' election"]

> On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 07:31:02PM +0100, Xan wrote:
> > In 07 Jan 2004 17:09, I wrote the following in Usenet, and it seems that
> > anyone answered essentially that
> > 1) I have to send this to "aj", the release manager, and that
> > 2) it is a example of overengineered suggestion.
> >
> > Well, I have to say that it was a solution (perhaps overengineered) to
> > achieve that the election of codenames of Debian were more
> > democratically than now.  I'm sad (and worry) that to no body likes
> > this suggestion and overall the possibility that the choose of
> > codenames were democratical.
>
> Why's that necessary?

Why not?
1) It's a election of a non-technical part of Debian and I think that it's
have to be made democratically. As if a group of persons have to make a
decission, they vote the alternatives, it's natural to make the same in this
case.
2) With democratic election, aj will have less work.
3) It suggests interest by all the debian newbees:
		1) It were fun by them
		2) It were clear that Debian is a distro made by and for the people.

> * The code names are a name, nothing more. They're important for people
>   to make the distinction between one suite and the other, but the
>   quality of our distribution isn't at stake if we get a bad one.
> * We don't actually care what the name of the distribution is going to
>   be. It's fun to know what the next one will be, but that's about the
>   end of the story.

> * aj is doing a fine job at it (and, especially, at being a Release
>   Manager. At least IMO).

I don't say the contrary. I only said that we could elect the codenames
democratically.

> > But I'm not surrender (by now):
>
> Well, it won't get you anywhere. If you want to ramble on about this,
> fine, but do it somewhere else please. Thanks.

Well, with this encourage and entusiasm, I will be charmed (?) to shout out!.
You motivate that the newbee users (as me) only want be newbees, because
always that they want to apport any idea, you critize (destructively) their
ideas.

Xan.