Re: sarge planning: interdependent packages

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 11:22:41AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 10:06:10AM +0000, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> > Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> wrote:
> > >  There are two outstanding bugs on perl due to unexpected ABI breakage
> > >  in perl 5.8.1.  The perl maintainers are working on reverting this
> > >  breakage, and I would estimate 2-3 weeks for the fix to reach the
> > >  archive (and 2 days after that to reach testing).
> >
> > These rc-bugs have been fixed with monday's upload. It just has not
> > built yet on m68k (looks like the autobuilder was shut down) and mips.

> I was under the impression that the mips msq problems in glibc which
> block perl building there weren't yet entirely fixed, or at the very
> least were only fixed in experimental.

There's definitely a failure log on buildd.debian.org, so it indeed
appears to not be fixed yet.

Do we have a timeline for getting the fixed glibc into unstable?  Enough
other packages are blocked by perl[1] that, if the glibc fix is going to
take us outside of the 2-3 week timeline suggested in my previous
message, I would be inclined to suggest ignoring mips,mipsel for the
duration so that this particular problem doesn't continue to stall
sarge.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer

[1] http://bjorn.haxx.se/debian/stalls.html is vastly understated; at
last count, I personally know of 46 other packages held up by perl
because of relationships that require hinting, so who knows how much is
really being blocked by this.