Re: Why does gdbm break packages in Sarge?

On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 07:30:52PM +0200, Ivo Timmermans wrote:
> Andreas Metzler wrote:
> > I assume that is gnutls 0.8.9 which was released yesterday

> Yep.  I uploaded gnutls7 a few hours ago.

> > Afaict this will require a big recompilation effort or introduction of a
> > libgnutls5 package in oldlibs, before anything can transfer to testing
> > as the soname had to be changed from libgnutls.so.5 to libgnutls.so.7
> > (why not 6?)

> First, gnutls5 will still be available for a while, it's a separate
> source package.  It will have to go away eventually though, because of
> this bug (#198709).

Oh, wonderful news!  This means with a bit of planning, we should be
able to get gnutls7 and openldap2 into testing just 10 days after it
clears the NEW queue, without needing to rebuild other packages
beforehand.

FWIW, bug #198709 probably doesn't affect many packages.  Most apps
don't need to pass around any connection state besides a file
descriptor; OpenLDAP is somewhat of a special case in this regard.  But
I'm sure it's a good idea to drop gnutls5 anyway, for ease of long-term
maintenance.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer