Re: Why does gdbm break packages in Sarge?

Andreas Metzler wrote:
> I assume that is gnutls 0.8.9 which was released yesterday

Yep.  I uploaded gnutls7 a few hours ago.

> Afaict this will require a big recompilation effort or introduction of a
> libgnutls5 package in oldlibs, before anything can transfer to testing
> as the soname had to be changed from libgnutls.so.5 to libgnutls.so.7
> (why not 6?)

First, gnutls5 will still be available for a while, it's a separate
source package.  It will have to go away eventually though, because of
this bug (#198709).

Second, GNUTLS upstream has had a development branch for a while (with
version numbers 0.9.x), which had soversion 6.  After the release of
0.8.9 and 0.9.6, the versions in these two branches each increased to
7 and 8 respectively.

	Ivo

--
A mathematician is a machine for converting coffee into theorems.