Why does gdbm break packages in Sarge?

http://bjorn.haxx.se/debian/testing.pl?package=gdbm shows that gdbm breaks
1079 packages that are in testing. I checked the changelog for gdbm, and I
believe the changes were necessary, and were far more than cosmetic. Why
would so many packages be broken by the new gdbm entering Sarge? Are
dependencies set to specifically the previous version(s) of gdbm? What's
the best way to check since I don't have access to a Debian shell?

Looking at
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gnome-panel/gnome-panel_2.2.2-1.diff.gz
I don't see "gdbm" listed at all so how does gnome-panel break by the new
gdbm being installed?

I also see that it's a mater of time (and a few dependency decisions)
before Gnome2 enters testing. Happy days.

     Drew Daniels