Re: Obsolete mirror list in debian install

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 11:19:32AM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:

> In the longer term, I would prefer to let machines, if they are up on
> the net, connect to www.debian.org and download a new mirror list.
> However, the debian-www people have consistently frustrated this desire
> by refusing to put the Mirrors.masterlist file up on the web for easy
> download, and requiring it only be made available by CVS. I have never
> understood their reasons for this.

You just need to ask. :)

A number of mirror maintainers asked that their address not be made
public. Some may not agree with that, but they are volunteering
the service so I think we should go along with their wish.

All we need to do is to prune the master list so only the needed
info is shown on the public page. Give me a format you want the
data in and you'll have a new, public page in short order.

For example, there should be a page that lists mirrors in the
format used by apt's sources.list file.

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org