Re: non-vanilla i386 kernels botched in 2.2r3

Herbert Xu <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au> writes:

> I've just found out through a bug report that all the flavoured 2.2.19-2
> kernels did not have the flavour set when make-kpkg build was being called.
> This means that they will *not* work out of the box.
>
> A fixed version is being built right now.
>
> Considering this and the fact that there are no matching pcmcia modules in
> 2.2r3 for 2.2.19-2, as well as the fact that the boot floppies didn't
> actually use it,

For precisely this reason, I used 2.2.19pre17 for the boot-floppies
that went into i386.

Your subject line is alarmist.  The default kernels for i386 were
*not* botched in 2.2r3.

> it would be good to have 2.2r4 go out very soon with just
> these fixes.

Um, can someone explain to me the urgency of using 2.2.19 rather than
2.2.19pre17?

My experience of the 2.2.19 kernels is that they are still unsuitable
for building.  I will research more so I can more demonstrations of
this.

--
.....Adam Di Carlo....adam@onshore.com.....<URL:http://www.onshored.com/>