Re: Stable Release plan

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 03:00:41PM +0100, lance wrote:
> Sorry - the difference between 1.2.1, 1.2.2 and 2.1r2, 2.2r3 escapes me -
> is the 'r' supposed to have special meaning ??

'r' is for revision. 2.2r3 is a minor revision of 2.2.
2.2.3 looks like a new version. The different escapes me too -- I think
I was opposed to the change at the time. But as I said, it was changed
for the benefit of the CD vendors.

> And we would then get loads of phone calls and emails asking whether we
> had 2.2r3 and people who received 2.2r2 would complain that we had sent
> them an old version.

Well, I understand the problem, but I don't think Debian should
change its revision procedure (again). We want new installations
from the official archive to have the latest security and other
important updates, without those having to be applied especially
from security.debian.org and the potato-proposed-updates section.

> If it turns out that the changes take up more than a CD then maybe it
> shouldnt be a point release after all ??

I doubt the changes run to anything like a CD full. However, an update
CD is not nearly as convenient for someone performing a new installation,
to be perfectly honest.

In the old days, from memory, we had seperate directory called
<dist>-updates, which contained the changed packages in each x.y.z release.
Those updates usually appeared on CDs like the Pacific HiTech
monthly linux disc (Mo'Linux). It was a good way to keep up to date
if you didn't have much bandwidth. I don't remember whether we
actually updated the main distribution directory as well.

Hamish