Re: disposition of boot-floppies in woody

Erik Andersen <andersen@codepoet.org> writes:

> The current busybox.deb needs a little work (about 1 hour) before it
> will be ready to replace the one in boot-floppies.  Mostly, I need
> to go through and turn off everything that isn't enabled in the
> boot-floppies CVS.  Also, some of the choices re what to enable or
> disable in busybox (such as sed) should be re-considered.  For
> example, busybox sed has been rewritten (again) and may well do the
> job now.

Yes, you should just go ahead and enable whatever you think should be
enabled.  So long as you mark that in the changelog I can make the
necessary changes for woody boot-floppies.

> The next thing that needs to be done is deciding on the method by
> which busybox gets its applet links installed.  Busybox now supports
> a runtime '/bin/busybox --install [-s]' command to install hard (or
> soft) links for each and every busybox applet.  Using this method,
> the only thing that actually needs to be installed is /bin/busybox
> (or /sbin/init or wherever you put it).  I recommend we use this
> method to install all the needed links at runtime.  This will ensure
> that the set of links we install is _always_ in sync with the
> binary.  On the downside, there is a chance that you might get an
> EEXIST error (it will not overwrite existing binaries with links)
> when it tries to install something that already exists on the
> boot-floppies filesystem, but at least that make things easy to
> debug...

> I would be happy to integrate this support into boot-floppies (just
> adds a couple of lines into /etc/rc.d/rcS).

Ok -- lets wait until I branch for woody.  I wanna get 2.2.21 out.

> I can probably get at least the initial part of this work done this weekend.
>
> >   - dealing with new kernel (what is the proposed kernel for woody,
> >     anyhow?)

> Well, the updated busybox (unlike the version in the boot-floppies
> CVS), copes gracefully with 2.4 kernels so that, at least, isn't
> going to be a problem anymore... Beyond that (where busybox wouldn't
> boot on 2.4.x kernels) the only real issue I can think of is how we
> handle all the new kernel modules...

Yes -- that's a modconf issue, isn't it?