Re: Current 2.2r2 status

In message <[🔎] 20001122103232.O968@visi.net>, Ben Collins writes:
>> > Part of the reason I agreed to take on organizing the info for the release
>> > was so that it was taken into account for the timeframe, which doesn't
>> > appear to be happening.
>>
>> At this moment: We. Do. Not. Have. A. Stable. Distribution.
>>
>> This is what we've announced. This is what the DPL asserts. This is
>> what's been promulgated on news sites. It may not be the case, it may
>> not be what I personally think, but it's the official Debian position,
>> and it's not something that's acceptable for a couple more weeks.
>>
>> If there's other stuff that can make it in usefully by delaying a day or
>> two, that's fine, but two weeks is not reasonable.
>
>Two weeks is for holidays, which Thu is one of the most major ones for
>the US. I can't justify not eating thanksgiving dinner with my family (and
>I'm sure others in the US will agree) just to do Debian stuff. On top of
>that, I said less than two weeks, which is just to give the ports time
>to do boot-floppies + testing. We don't want to just make uploads and
>release without any testing.

Well, the news release said 'expected within ten days.'  If we have a date
early next week, I can post an announce saying that the release will be made
tuesday nov 28 (or so...) for example.  The important thing is to fix a date
that's not too much longer than the ten days we announced so people can
react accordingly.

I agree that a few days is OK, two weeks is not.  IMHO the distribution
needs to be working and include all available security fixes.  Since fixes
appear on a daily basis, we can never have a 100% up to date release
security wise.

Comments?

Nils.