Re: http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/63/63485.html

On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 04:23:49PM -0400, David Huggins-Daines wrote:
> Richard, sorry to bother you with this sort of stuff again, but if we
> could make an exception for this, that would be great.
>
> We can't very well test Debian on Alpha if large parts of the system
> (basically anything X related, since only libraries in /lib and
> /usr/lib will work) are non-functional.

There are two reasons for not making any changes to the archive
during the test cycle:
  - It lets the boot-floppies and cd-image people work in peace
  - It makes sure that we're testing the stuff that we're actually
    going to release.
Later in the cycle, there's also
  - It makes sure that the release is already on the mirrors when
    we announce it.

Obviously, any problem that interferes with making boot-floppies or
CD images will cancel all of these reasons, so I have no problem
making an exception for it.  (Though obviously I wish it weren't
necessary.)  But I need to hear it clearly from the teams involved
-- I don't want to make guesses based on what I find in Incoming.

I don't know if this particular problem is of that severity -- if
it "merely" makes testing worthless, then it may still be worthwhile
to wait for the next cycle, especially if the change will interfere
with the work on other architectures.

Note that I'm not going to touch anything at all while James is busy
moving the archive.

Richard Braakman