Re: kernels in potato destabilized

On Sat, Apr 29, 2000 at 06:29:57PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> I ask that you hold i386 kernels in Incoming until the other flavors
> and the accompanying pcmcia-modules packages are also to be found in
> Incoming.  That ensures the consistency and coherency of Potato and
> the ability to build boot-floppies.  Thanks.

Please keep in mind that I don't keep track of the way kernel uploads
are organized; it's too complicated and it changes too often.

I can remember three flavours for i386, but for example alpha seems
to have 22 (2.2.13), or 27 (2.2.14), or maybe just 4 (2.2.15).
Sparc kernels also come in exciting combinations.

So I just install them as they come, trusting that the people who
upload them know what they are doing.  If an upload is not supposed
to go in until some other condition is met, then please note that
in the changelog.

Alternately, such uploads could perhaps be coordinated using one
of the lists (debian-release perhaps), so that I'll wait for an
explicit go-ahead before installing kernel-related packages.

Richard Braakman