Re: Preparing the Release / Freezing potato

Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> writes:

> On Sat, Nov 06, 1999 at 03:17:55PM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > You guys are all acting wierd.  Debian has never instituted a minimum
> > policy version for a release.

> You're completely missing the point.

Well, you've overstated the point.

> Before 3.1.0.0 was out, we had policy 3.0.x.x, and any package which
> complied with that policy (which at that time was the most recent package
> version) was (is) broken, from the point of view of release management.

Actually, you mean people who comply with the letter of 3.0.x, without
complying with the tech committee decision, are breaking things.
AFAIK, you can comply with the tech ctte w/o breaking 3.0.x
compliance.  (Note: in policy, only 3 version levels are significant.)

If you are arguing that 3.0.x policy packages should be banned from
potato, I still think you're wrong.  Instead, you should say that any
3.x stds compliant package much also comply with the tech ctte
decision.

Here's hoping for seriousness about policy, without literal-mindedness
or legalistic interpretations of the same.