Re: Please use branch names master / upstream / pristine-tar

On Sun 13 Feb 2022 08:50:56 AM EST, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
Hi Doug,

Am Sun, Feb 13, 2022 at 01:12:21PM +0000 schrieb Torrance, Douglas:
> If you want to let team members upgrade this package flawlessly please
> stick to the branch name master.

Fair enough.  My rationale was that frequently upstream also uses "master", and
it would simplify my workflow if my local branch names were consistent with the
remote branch names, especially for packages where I'm also active upstream
(which, admittedly, is not the case for this particular package).  So I went
with the (old) DEP-14 recommendation, although I just noticed that this
recommendation has since been changed to "debian/latest". [1]

I know the reasons for using something else than "master" as default
branch for Debian packaging.  I'm also fine with following sensible
DEP-14 suggestions in the long term.  However, this should be done
consistently in a team wide automatic change to have all our packages
in the same shape.

Makes sense.

Would you recommend that I change the default branches of all the R package
Salsa repositories that I set up to use "debian/master" so that they instead
use "master" going forward?

Yes, this would be helpful.

Done!  I've pushed a "master" branch to each of the r-cran-* repositories that
I've set up, set it as the default, and update d/gbp.conf where appropriate.
Let me know if I've missed something.

Doug