Re: RFS: r-cran-partitions (NEW)

On 30 September 2021 10:11:47 pm IST, "Torrance, Douglas" <dtorrance@piedmont.edu> wrote:
>On Thu 30 Sep 2021 10:47:16 AM EDT, Nilesh Patra <nilesh@nileshpatra.info> wrote:
> I didn't realize this and just made the change based Lintian's [...]

Perfectly understandable.
I wonder if it makes sense to open a bug report against lintian to not emit this for R packages.

>> We are supposed to take versions as-is with hyphenations, and let debhelper do its job.
>> If you agree, please ask for a reject, fix the version and I'll re-upload.
>
>Sounds good to me! I've fixed the version for r-cran-partitions in git:
>https://salsa.debian.org/r-pkg-team/r-cran-partitions

Thanks, I will upload once the one in NEW is scraped.

>How do I ask for a reject? Just send an email to the FTP masters, or is there
>some official way through the BTS or something? I haven't been able to find any
>documentation on how to do this for packages still in the NEW queue...

You'd have got an email with the subject "r-cran-partitions_1.10.2+ds-1_amd64.changes is NEW"
You just need to reply all to that email and ask for reject.

Also, asking on #debian-ftp IRC could be quicker, if you'd like doing so.

>> I also noticed that similar thing has been done in r-cran-sets and r-cran-orthopolynom. But I guess
>> its a bit too late unfortunately to change them :/
>> So probably you need to add an epoch at some point in time for these.
>
>When would an epoch be necessary? It seems like the dot/hyphen issues I'm
>seeing searching through the list archives (e.g., [2]) are in the opposite
>direction, i.e., upstream uses a dot in a versioned dependency when our
>package uses a hyphen.

I agree, but it is better to follow standards than not. It otherwise makes tracking the whole thing harder.
It has brought more harm than good in the past, when this was done, but admittedly I wasn't in the project back in the day, so hard for me to quote examples.

>I guess my question is, would it be ok to just wait for, e.g., sets 1.1-1 to
>be released to switch r-cran-sets to use a hyphen?

sets last release was in 2017, after which I don't see any commits on its GitHub mirror, so I'm not sure if a new one with this version would come out anytime soon.

That said,
It looks like r-cran-sets and orthopolynom would mostly be leaf packages, so probably it is just fine for them to be the way as they are now.
But please do keep an eye for these in future R packages!

>Thanks for noticing this!

Thanks to you for your work!

>[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/12/msg02332.html
>[2] https://lists.debian.org/debian-r/2018/06/msg00069.html