RE: Is there any chance to make mathjaxr non-mandatory in metap

On 27 January 2021 at 12:03, Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (SP) wrote:
| To be 100% clear: I absolutely understand the concern with the minified JS and I will try to find a solution (when I have the time). However, I personally never install R packages from deb's (i.e., I always install all R packages from source directly from CRAN). R packages are so frequently updated - and for good reason - that I would never rely on what version has been bundled as a deb in the past. But that's just my personal preference.

So do I, and I maintain ~ 100 of them and started the whole busines (with,
IIRC, r-cran-rodbc almost 18 years ago). I follow CRAN closely, so I just
update to /usr/local/lib/R/site-library daily or almost daily (littler script
`update.r`) on my main machine, and have done so on many work machines over
all those years.

Michael Rutter' PPA is very good if you are on Ubuntu, and updates about once
a week so I use that on another laptop.

These Debian packages are very good and very important but they aren't the
only way to use R, and are also sometimes stale plus there may be a Debian
repo lag. Lastly, here for this package: if I were the maintainer, I would
probably just try to patch mathjaxr out for the Debian package.

Dirk

--
https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd@debian.org