Re: How about a metapackage for pulling frequent build and check dependencies ?

Salut Charles,

On 10 July 2020 at 11:06, Charles Plessy wrote:
| Hello Dirk and everybody,
|
| sometimes I need to create a Debian container in which I will install
| all the CRAN and Bioconductor packages that I need from source.

There are existing solutions that look at a package (in the CRAN/BioC sense)
and bundle all it needs into a container. I keep forgetting the names but they
are mentioned in the paper by Daniel Nuest (with me and a lots of others):
  https://arxiv.org/abs/2001.10641

| I often end up installing libxml2-dev, libcurl4-openssl-dev, libssl-dev,
| and texlive by hand.  And each time, it takes me a minute of distraction
| in order to find the name of the package to install.
|
| I wonder if it would be useful to have a "r-suggested" or "r-extra"
| metapackage in Debian that would depend on them.

On just those four? Maybe.

Maybe we could even add them to r-base-dev, come to think about it. Or, as
you say, make a 'r-base-extra-dev'. (Or, as I sometimes do for pragmatic
reasons, you use Ubuntu with the Rutter PPAs giving you ~ 4500 r-cran-*
binaries that just work. May be the better approach actually...)

And there is another issue with those four and some others. RStudio now
offers binaries for "everything" incl four Linux distros (but Debian, very
strange) and those are "just binary CRAN installs" i.e. NOT package in our
sense with a dependency graph. So ... sometimes you will miss depends. I
blogged a little about it and have two test containers (for Ubuntu 18.04 and
20.04 if you want to play). Blog post is at
  https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2020/07/03/#028_rocker_rspm

Bye, Dirk

--
https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd@debian.org