Re: R 4.0.0 is here, transition is stalled

Hi Graham,

On 29 April 2020 at 19:23, Graham Inggs wrote:
| Hi Dirk
|
| On Sun, 26 Apr 2020 at 14:43, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org> wrote:
| > | As you are the maintainer, maybe you can instruct the Release team which
| > | you think should go first ?
| >
| > GSL, obviously. Version 2.6 was packaged seven months ago:
| > https://salsa.debian.org/edd/gsl/-/commit/c45f77e1efe6b567cf1dff9815ab085251d0612f
|
| Please file a bug requesting a transition slot for gsl.

Hm. Are you saying I never did? That ... would be possible. Maybe I just
assumed it would flow automatically.

| > Thanks for the very helpful emailing and keeping an eye on the transitions.
| > As for ppc64el, I have not yet heard back from Brazil about the VM account.
|
| As a DD, you should already have access [1] to plummer.debian.org, the
| ppc64el porterbox, so maybe no need for a VM account elsewhere.

I may well have read the Debian wiki page wrong. But no mas, it was a good
experience to set up an account at minipower / unicamp and I am working on a
8-core box. First use of OpenStack too. It's nice.

| Please update #955211 with the news that R 4.0.0 has been released.

Can do, but we are also held back by the ppc64el issue. Though we identified
it now -- and Charles was partially right about the long double issue
there. While _previous_ patch to header affected (as in: "reenabled")
compilation, we are now seeing this infinite loop on something the byte
compiler does for calibration / machine architecture. Clearly a powerpc
issue. Clearly upstream too.

| Also, if anyone has an ETA on Bioconductor, it would be good to add
| that too.

I think BioConductor 3.11 (for R 4.0.0) got released upstream yesterday. I
would not know about r-bioc-* transition though.

Dirk

--
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd@debian.org