Re: [RFS] r-cran-remotes

On Mon, Mar 09, 2020 at 08:10:09PM +0530, Nilesh Patra wrote:
> Also wanted to ask: how can I selectively install files in a R package?
> Lintian level = pedantic complains about duplicate files/binary in R
> packages a few times(this package included)

As a general remark: level=pedantic goes beyond what I'm willing to
spent my time into.  There are way more urgent issues in lots of other
packages before I would go into nitpicking mode.

> But
>  * Removing files manually in `override_dh_install` in d/rules

Hmmm, are you sure that

override_dh_install:
	dh_install
	rm foo

would not work?

I did some

  grep "^override_dh.*install:$" */debian/rules

in the dir where I'm keeping my r-pkg repositories.  I picked a random
onr and got:

override_dh_auto_install:
        dh_auto_install --buildsystem R
        rm debian/r-cran-tufte/usr/lib/R/site-library/tufte/rmarkdown/templates/tufte_html/resources/LICENSE
        chmod -x debian/r-cran-tufte/usr/lib/R/site-library/tufte/rmarkdown/templates/tufte_html/resources/et-book/*.ttf

Besides the fact that the last line should rather be in dh_fixperms it
does what it should do.  I remember I frequently removed extra license
files that way.

>  * Adding in d/install doesn't seem to change anything.

Simply adding d/install does not change anything.  I *think* the files
are installed inside dh_auto_install.

> And every R package I have encountered uses neither of the two, so is there
> a workaround for the same?

In general there is very less need for this in R packages - so chances
are good that you was just not lucky enough to find an example.

> Would be glad to know.

Hope this helps