Re: Status of transition and fastcluster issue

Hi Graham,

On Thu, Jun 07, 2018 at 01:04:46PM +0200, Graham Inggs wrote:
> Thanks for all your work on this transition!

You are welcome.  As I said most of it was scripted and I keep on
inviting others to test those scripts.  As usual the social challenge
(culminating in the attempt to restrict my freedom of speach to a free
software developer) were higher than the technical ones.

> On 07/06/2018 12:21, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > The issue is caused due to the fact that only one debhelper buildsystem
> > (R or pybuild) can be used.  The last one specified wins and thus
> > "--buildsystem=R" just does nothing.  I need to investigate this.  All
> > other package uploads where scripted and thus easy to do but for this
> > issue I need some chunk of spare time (hopefully before, if not at the
> > weekend).  Any volunteer is welcome to beat me in finding a fix.
>
> How about the following as a temporary workaround?

No need for it any more.  Problem was easier to solve than expected.
R-cran-fastcluster and r-bioc-cummerbund are uploaded.

> You've always made me feel very welcome to do team uploads, and I have done
> so when needed.  I'm pretty sure the commits I have made and not uploaded,
> have been minor things which I didn't feel justified an upload on their own.

:-)

In r-bioc-biovizbase I needed to force r-cran-foreign and r-cran-nnet to
(Build-)Depends.  If you look at its control file it contains:

# <dh-update-R>do not delete this</dh-update-R>
               r-cran-foreign,
               r-cran-nnet

Please note the comment has NO EFFECT on dh-update-R yet.  It just rises
awareness when inspecting the diff of changes (which I always did before
uploading).  I'm also not really sure whether we should implement a
mechanism in dh-update-R to stop it from removing dependencies it does
not expect or whether we should rather find the reasons why these manual
additions are really needed.

In this case I was able to find the missing depends by asking
codesearch.d.n for

   https://codesearch.debian.net/search?q=foreign+path%3ADESCRIPTION

which quickly uncovered hmisc as the responsible package for the issue.
I'd say an autopkgtest would have been helpful here to spot the issue
earlier and more easily.  I filed bug #900974 with a patch.

I was not as successful in seeking the reason why r-cran-lavaan needs
a manual injection of r-cran-codetools but I stopped seeking for it
at this time.  I'm not sure whether the reason is always a forgotten
dependency specification or if there is a chance that the DESCRIPTION
file is just missing the information.  I'll leave this for further
investigation - the comment in d/control will inform you about issues
of this kind.