Re: About different opinions of version numbering schemes containg '.' and '-' (Was: [devteam-bioc] BioConductor phyloseq defines relation to not yet existing ade4 version])

On 2 June 2018 at 13:11, Andreas Tille wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I was digging in my archive about another issue where a dash '-' in a
| version number creates an issue in our packaging.  I could imagine that

IIRC a really loooooong time ago it did -- I think when Charles wrote
cran2deb as a Summer of Code project I may have recommended the regexp switch
from - to . yet I think we have not needed it for a long time.

| we include some list in dh-update-R where we do the needed replacements
| (currently for ade4 and quantmod) even if I'd prefer if upstream would
| stop using "random signs" instead of the proper version released version
| number.

That is unnecessarily strong language that not only "not helps" but
distracts.

R (at CRAN) check these things too (which I why I am very surprised about
that Graham found with tseries and about which I will follow up with
upstream).

Consider the following R code (!!)

   R> p1 <- as.package_version("4.1-9")
   R> p2 <- as.package_version("4.1.13")
   R> p1 < p2
   [1] TRUE
   R> p1 > p2
   [1] FALSE

so R itself is perfectly capably to treat version Depends (in something
modeled strongly on what we do). And it seems to do just what we do:

edd@rob:~$ dpkg --compare-versions 4.1-9 lt 4.1.13 && echo TRUE
TRUE
edd@rob:~$ dpkg --compare-versions 4.1-9 gt 4.1.13 && echo TRUE
edd@rob:~$

I think we both allow 1.2-3 and 1.2.3 and Debian can build 1.2-3-1 and
1.2.3-1 equaly well off them.

Dirk

--
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd@debian.org