Re: The open BH / r-cran-bh question

Hi,

On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 11:06:51AM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> - just say 'shucks' and package it (and once again 'shadow' a library
> we alreday have).

I do not mind the size as much as the code duplication that should
be avoided.

> - Or we could do what we currently do (and edit it out and add
> libboost-all-dev to Build-Depends).

I admit, a more convinient solution would be nice.

> - Or we could do a hybrid as I once did to help another deployment--a virtual
> package doing the depending on libboost*-dev.

I think this a quite elegant way to on one hand fulfill the BH
dependency while usining the Debian packaged boost.  (I would not use
term "virtual package" since its a real package - its more like a
metapackage by just containing dependencies.)

> A trial ballon for that last approach is at
>    https://github.com/eddelbuettel/pkg-r-cran-bh
>
> One problem with the latter approach may arise when BH is more recent than
> Debian's boost (as right now).  That is not always the case; at time in the
> past I even used the Debian sources as sources for BH.

Since I have not experienced any problem by method 2 (patching out BH)
which should have the very same problem I think we could go for it.