Re: R 3.5.0 transition

Hi Seb,

Thanks for the detailed update.

On 8 May 2018 at 19:06, Sébastien Villemot wrote:
| Hi Dirk,
|
| On Tue, May 08, 2018 at 11:55:20AM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
|
| > Is there anything we can do about the transition? Which seems a little stale
| > and stuck...
| >
| > Do any of you know how to read the bottom-left of
| >   https://release.debian.org/transitions/html/r-base-3.5.html
| > about 'Collissions' ?
|
| The collisions are the other transitions that might get entangled with the R
| one (i.e. if a given package depends on two libraries/packages that
| simultaneously undergo a transition, then these two transitions need to migrate
| at the same time into testing, which complicates matters a lot). So the Release
| Team will typically avoid to entangle transitions, and that might be one of the
| reason why we have to wait.
|
| Among the collisions:
| - hdf5, icu, protobuf and curl have not yet started;
| - mariadb-connector-c and openssl1.0-rm are underway;
| - openmpi is (mostly) finished.
| (see https://release.debian.org/transitions/)
|
| So maybe the R transition is delayed because of the mariadb and
| openssl1.0-removal transitions.
|
| Concerning those transitions that are not yet started, the Release Team will
| decide if they come before or after the R transition (I don't know which
| criterion they use).
|
| It may also be that they are just very busy (and my understanding is that they
| are a bit understaffed right now).
|
| Either way, we have to wait (our only way to accelerate the process is to help
| with the ongoing transitions). Note that it is not unusual to wait for several
| weeks (or even a few months) to be authorized to begin a large transition, so
| the current situation is not unusual. And Debian is quite often about waiting
| for other people, this is how things work in a big volunteer project.

Still sucks somewhat. Oh well.

I needed R 3.5.0 and r-recommended for the Docker image for R which I
co-maintain (in the Rocker Project), so there are some .deb packages at

   https://github.com/eddelbuettel/drr35

There is also a volunteer R 3.5.0 backport at CRAN (by Johannes) and an
ongoing effort to get Ubuntu up to speed (which many of use for Travis builds
and other uses; that will be at CRAN once more complete and so far at
Launchpad in Michael's repo).  More at r-sig-debian if anybody wants to lurk.

Dirk

--
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd@debian.org