Re: R 3.5.0 transition

Hi Dirk,

On Tue, May 08, 2018 at 11:55:20AM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> Is there anything we can do about the transition? Which seems a little stale
> and stuck...
>
> Do any of you know how to read the bottom-left of
>   https://release.debian.org/transitions/html/r-base-3.5.html
> about 'Collissions' ?

The collisions are the other transitions that might get entangled with the R
one (i.e. if a given package depends on two libraries/packages that
simultaneously undergo a transition, then these two transitions need to migrate
at the same time into testing, which complicates matters a lot). So the Release
Team will typically avoid to entangle transitions, and that might be one of the
reason why we have to wait.

Among the collisions:
- hdf5, icu, protobuf and curl have not yet started;
- mariadb-connector-c and openssl1.0-rm are underway;
- openmpi is (mostly) finished.
(see https://release.debian.org/transitions/)

So maybe the R transition is delayed because of the mariadb and
openssl1.0-removal transitions.

Concerning those transitions that are not yet started, the Release Team will
decide if they come before or after the R transition (I don't know which
criterion they use).

It may also be that they are just very busy (and my understanding is that they
are a bit understaffed right now).

Either way, we have to wait (our only way to accelerate the process is to help
with the ongoing transitions). Note that it is not unusual to wait for several
weeks (or even a few months) to be authorized to begin a large transition, so
the current situation is not unusual. And Debian is quite often about waiting
for other people, this is how things work in a big volunteer project.

Best,

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Sébastien Villemot
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Debian Developer