KMix problem in Debian Buster

Hi,

I'm using Awesome WM in Debian with some components from different DEs. For audio controls, I us KMix. After the recent upgrade to Buster/Stable, the KMix icon no longer shows up in the tray, it's just an empty space-holder for it that right-click on it works. When I restart the Awesome window manager, it shows an awesome icon at its place (Screenshot attached.)

Also when I select 'Audio Setup' from the right-click menu, this error is shown:

The helper application is either not installed or not working.

kcmshell5 kcm_phonon

It seems (in Aptitude) that my KMix version is 4:18.04.1-1

Any hints are appreciated :)