Re: RFP: pyside2 -- Python bindings for Qt5

Hi,

On Fri, 11 May 2018, Maximiliano Curia wrote:
> > Sophie and me are working to bring pyside2 into Debian. We would like to
> > put it in pkg-kde-extras. I requested access to the salsa group for this.
>
> Welcome to the team!

Thank you. Note that you granted me "developer" access which doesn't let
me create new repositories, so I will need one of you to create the
repository and also to add sophie (sbrun-guest) as member of the
pyside2 repository.

> Right, but please take into account that the packages maintained under the
> qt tree use a debian directory only packaging branch, and in general, they
> use all the same packaging structure (no dpm, no upstream branches or tags
> in the public repos, etc). This set of rules is more relaxed in qt-extras
> and kde-extras.

Are the rules documented somewhere?

At this point, there are no (versioned) upstream tarball releases so it
might be better to be able to have full sources in the git repository and
generate the .orig.tar.gz out of it.

> Also, I don't see in the bug log any comment about the current pyside
> maintenance, are the pyside maintainers ok with moving the new version of
> the project to a different repository in a different team?

There are no Uploaders left in debian/control both for pyside and
shiboken:
https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/modules/shiboken/blob/master/debian/control
https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/modules/pyside/blob/master/debian/control

On Fri, 11 May 2018, Dmitry Shachnev wrote:
> It looks like pyside2 will use the same release cycle as Qt uses, so we
> will most likely have to update it together with the other Qt modules.

And at least the version embedded in the code matches the Qt version, yes.

> As far as I know, there are no current pyside 1.x maintainers. So there is
> nobody who can complain about this move.

Indeed.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer