Re: Processed: Re: still unable to print

On Wed, Nov 04 2015, Maximiliano Curia <maxy@gnuservers.com.ar> wrote:
> Please avoid reopening old bugs, it's better to ask in the debian-kde users
> list or in the #debian-kde irc channel, if that wouldn't help then open a new
> one. The issue that was reported here was fixed: cups-bsd was added as a
> recommends.

Hi, Max.  Thanks for the response.

I don't see the problem with re-opening old bugs if that is what is
called for.  If the problem persists, then clearly the problem was not
fully addressed, which is the situation here.  I was experiencing a
failure to print from okular.  I did due diligence in searching for an
existing bug that addressed the issue, rather than blindly filing a new
report.  I found the bug that I referenced, and since the closing of
that report didn't describe how the problem was fixed I reopened it as
not fixed.  I think that was all completely justified.

> Also, when you send a message to control your mail is not shown in the bug,
> you need to cc the bug for that.

I tried cc'ing the bug, but the message was bounced because the bug had
been archived.

> okular uses the lpr from cups, if you have a different lpr it needs to accept
> the same parameters. You could try:
> apt install cups-bsd lpr- lprng- gnuspool-

This might be a fix, but I don't think it's actually a suitable solution
to the overall problem.  Without cups-bsd installed, okular just
silently fails to print.  There is no notification to the user other
than a cryptic message to the terminal that would only ever be seen if
you were to launch okular from the terminal (which certainly most people
don't do).  It seems like a better solution could be devised.

Thanks for the help.

jamie.