Re: Reply for Call for help from KDE Team

Good afternoon,

I too am planning on helping out and have been reading the recommended web pages.

On 7 May 2014 09:48, Maximiliano Curia <maxy@gnuservers.com.ar> wrote:
It's not always easy to know what's happening. :)
Is this part of the problem? It seems that there isn't a clear bug tracker like launchpad for ubuntu or bugzilla or Fedora.

There appears to be no concise dashboard of work items and tickets for the group. I thought that the ideal list to work with was:

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?maint=debian-qt-kde@lists.debian.org;dist=unstable#_0_3_4

However you are implying better data can be gotten from udd:

https://udd.debian.org/bugs/?release=jessie&merged=ign&fnewerval=7&flastmodval=7&rc=1&sortby=id&sorto=asc&format=html#results

It would be nice if someone gave direction for a sprint in which we have a group start with sid, a group with jessie and perhaps another with wheezey on virtual machines. Then in week one we work through the "Outstanding Important - Unclassified" to classify them either by marking as upstream, wontfix or reproducible. Then work on the next set. Perhaps make it the first week of each month to do the same thing?

I've been wondering how much automation is surrounding the whole packaging process? I've not yet found a code review for the packaging process. It appears to rely on packagers testing and hoping that others also test:

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMentorsFaq#How_do_I_add_a_new_package_to_the_archive.3F

I was hoping that a system that automates building the package, installing it and then throwing up any warnings from the install process, possibly for x86 and amd64, however I've not yet bumped into anything.

These are just some of my work in progress thoughts so far. I've not discovered everything about debian yet, but I am getting to understand things a little better each day.

Regards
Phil Hannent