KDE/jessie feedback

Hi,
I've upgraded my desktop machine from Wheezy to Jessie a few days ago. All in all
it looks really nice, thanks for maintaining KDE in Debian!

Three suggestions/discussion topics I'd like to raise:

- With the default desktop there're notifications on new updates, but the standard tool
(I'm not sure which it is precisely) only offers a notification, but no GUI-way to
install the upgrades. I've tried apper and it seems to offer that, maybe that should
be the standard tool?

- In the default install dragonplayer is installed (and it's a hard dependency from
the meta packages). However, with dragonplayer many videos I tried only played the
sound of the video, not the actual video. I need to debug that further, maybe there's
a dependency missing. Overall mpv seems the superior choice to me (it's not a KDE
component, of course, but it integrates very well and it has a clean design while
still being very powerful).

- One issue we discussed during the security team meeting in Essen is VLC. Upstream
focuses on people upgrading to new upstream releases and it's difficult to extract
security fixes. Unfortunately VLC builds a library with Phonon being the major
user, so upgrading to new upstream releases will break things. Since Phonon also
supports Gstreamer as a backend (which is more stable API-wise and supportable),
what do you think of switching Phonon over to Gstreamer?

Cheers,
        Moritz