Re: Defaut KDE wallpaper

If there are followups on debian-qt-kde, if you wouldn't mind CCing me,
that'd be great. I'm not on that list.

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 05:16:57PM +0200, Eshat Cakar wrote:
> Hi Ronoaldo,
>
> 2012/7/10 Ronoaldo José de Lana Pereira <ronoaldo@gmail.com>:
> > I'm working on theme packages for the Debian Desktop, and came with a few
> > problems overriding the default KDE wallpaper. I noticed that
> > kde-wallpaper-default comes with a symlink in
> > /usr/share/wallpapers/kde-default, that points to the default wallpaper. It
> > would be very nice to be able to override this default link with a new
> > installed theme.
>
> I don't have much experience with /etc/alternatives, but managing the KDE
> related artwork with symlinks is definitely doable.

/etc/alternatives is magic, but also symlinks :)

> > Currently, desktop-base (and probably any other theme package) creates a
> > plasma script to run upon the user's first KDE configuration, and at that
> > point override the default.
>
> It took me a bit of time, to get this working correctly with plasma scripting.
> This was suggested to be the way to go, if you want to modify the users
> workspace.
>
> > This simply don't work very well for some
> > scenarios, like installing a new theme or changing the default theme to
> > another one by the installation of a package. Put in other words: it could
> > be nice to be able to change the default KDE wallpaper systemwide.
> > I wold like to discuss with the kde maintainers if there is any way to
> > change this symlink to use the alternatives system, allowing the default
> > theme to be replaced by another package or by user choice if there is more
> > than one alternative, and potentially avoiding the use of plasma-scripts to
> > set the default wallpaper.
>
> The plasma script is part of the desktop-base package. So there is probably no
> change needed for KDE packages. We just have to make sure that
> /usr/share/wallpapers/kde-default (and also kdm and ksplash themes) is reset to
> whatever KDE upstream has as default, when no theme package is installed.

alternatives can take care of this if configured correctly :)

> Another alternative would be to have a clone of the desktop-base package, using
> the same current methods to set defaults but additionally conflict with
> desktop-base (and other theme packages), so that users can only have one theme
> package installed at a time.

Bleh. OK, this addresses some changes I've been mulling to the
desktop-base package / how we handle themes in general. More on this
topic later, but it's my intent to help fix this situation for wheezy+1.

> This definitely is an unclean way, but would avoid changes to the current
> desktop-base package, which could be a problem because of wheezy's freeze.
>
> > If something similar could be done with the default Ksplash theme, that wold
> > be also great.
>
> Well, this is handled by
> /usr/share/desktop-base/profiles/kde-profile/share/config/ksplashrc which could
> also be changed by /etc/alternatives/. Same is true for the KDM Theme.
>
> Since KDE packages are not involved here, we could move this discussion to the
> debian-desktop ML or to IRC, where you can find me and Paul in #debian-desktop.

o/ (come hang out!)

> I'd want at least Paul (CC'ed) to confirm /etc/alternatives is the way
> to go to manage
> multiple themes.

Right now, yeah, that's pretty much the best we've got.

> What about the other DEs like Gnome and Xfce? Are they already working
> with your theme
> package?

Yep, update-alternatives handles their stuff too. Check it out!

This was from my old VM, which still had all the krufty old packages with Joy
installed with it :)

    debian@debian:~$ sudo update-alternatives --config desktop-background
    There are 11 choices for the alternative desktop-background (providing /usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-background).

      Selection    Path                                                                    Priority   Status
    * 0            /usr/share/images/desktop-base/joy-wallpaper_1920x1080.svg               70        auto mode
      1            /usr/share/images/desktop-base/debian-blueish-wallpaper.svg              30        manual mode
      2            /usr/share/images/desktop-base/joy-inksplat-wallpaper_1920x1080.svg      65        manual mode
      3            /usr/share/images/desktop-base/joy-wallpaper_1280x1024.svg               65        manual mode
      4            /usr/share/images/desktop-base/joy-wallpaper_1600x1200.svg               65        manual mode
      5            /usr/share/images/desktop-base/joy-wallpaper_1920x1080.svg               70        manual mode
      6            /usr/share/images/desktop-base/joy-wallpaper_1920x1200.svg               65        manual mode
      7            /usr/share/images/desktop-base/moreblue-orbit-wallpaper-widescreen.svg   50        manual mode
      8            /usr/share/images/desktop-base/moreblue-orbit-wallpaper.svg              50        manual mode
      9            /usr/share/images/desktop-base/nightly-wallpaper.png                     40        manual mode
      10           /usr/share/images/desktop-base/spacefun-wallpaper-widescreen.svg         55        manual mode
      11           /usr/share/images/desktop-base/spacefun-wallpaper.svg                    60        manual mode

    Press enter to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number:

It's hacky and hard to use, but it totally works :)

> I myself, as co-maintainer, am fine to clean up the
> deskop-base package to work with multiple themes for KDE.
>
> > Thanks for your attention and comments.
>
> And thank you for working on the other theme packages.

Huge +1 to this.

> Cheers,
>
> Eshat

Fondly,